Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dream House Revisited- My Imperfect Blessed Life





About ten years ago I found the perfect home for my family to live in


The kind of house I dreamed of living in since I was a child. A big white house on a hill with column pillars and a big front porch. Built around the turn of the century with great moldings and a quirky floor plan. I was in love.

We set out to turn this multi family home into a single family residence. The Interior Designer in me took over and I drew plans that suited our family as well as our lifestyle and construction began. 

 After a few months of knocking down a wall or two , my daughter Victoria was born and my dream house renovation was at a stand still. I was overwhelmed with my life. My son Mike was 11 years old and the active lifestyle of a young boy was a huge responsibility with a new born.  My husband Forrest, was always a work alcoholic kind of guy and seemed to be working even more, he was never home. It was then I realized I was suffering from depression, postpartum  depression.

Renovations stopped , our world was still. and the house, my dream house became a source of disappointment.


It took another few years to come to grips with the idea that not only the house was at a stand still, so was our family life. I spent the next five years raising my son and daughter and putting the idea of my dream house on hold.  Our lives as a family were about to change. My husband got out of bed one Monday morning and announced  he was leaving me and the children. I was blindsided,had know idea he was unhappy. I thought he was working hard and that providing for our family was his goal. I found out a few days later he had met someone new and was moving in with her.

I asked what would happen to our home, He said, "nothing, you and the children can stay." We turned the house back into a two family home. We lived in our family home for another 4 years, and every time I drove into my driveway I felt that old pang of disappointment.

It took some time but I did fall in love again, I met Jared. He had a sweet home in East Greenbush. He had spent lovingly updating and making it his own. He was sure he was never going to meet anyone to share it with. As our relationship blossomed and we started to blend our families the interior designer in me took over.I took on the task of stuffing us all into a house half the size of my dream house. 

The first step was to reassign rooms, for instance the old home office became part of our master suite. That was when one of Jared's dreams come true, he always wanted a office in a private space.We decided to build an office for both of us in the garage and he started building.

Jared working in his rustic office with all of his hunting memories

Next post: Redefining the term "Dream House" - My Imperfect Blessed Life





No comments:

Post a Comment