Sunday, April 22, 2012

Blending a Family and Furniture, defining our own style- My Imperfect Blessed Life

I can't help but think of the song Donny and Marie Osmond sang in the 70's-




I've worked with many couples who have different style preferences.  I can always hear Donny and Marie singing in my head..... I know its hard to find common ground for everyone to agree on. Even still, a blend and direction has to be established.  Jared's style is more natural. He likes wood and country furnishings. I like a clean traditional look, and antiques. As mentioned in a previous blog post we decided what furniture would work for both of us and I started to assign the pieces to areas of the house. I decided we would arrange the different styles by formality. I call it, "front of the house/ back of the house." My antiques would find a home in the front of the house, (New Dining room, foyer, Master Bedroom and Library suite) and Jared's the back of the house, (Family Room ,Downstairs Bath and Kitchen)

After we agreed on the new locations based on style, I needed to start thinking about color. I know it sounds nuts, but the process of selecting colors for paint really helps further solidify your design direction, and if its not working for you, its early enough to change direction.

I have always been really good at selecting paint colors, so this was a no brain er for me and I kept it simple. I went to Ace Hardware, (because Jared likes their paint) and gathered up paint chips. I focused on a warm neutral for most of the walls for the front of the house and added  ceiling colors as accents; For instance our Master Bedroom has neutral walls and a green ceiling.  In a small space the ceiling can be a great spot to add color. I taped the chips to a piece of paper and labeled their destination. Hung it on the fridge for a while and rechecked my selections for a few weeks. No fancy presentation needed, I needed to see all of the colors on paper to make sure they flowed well.

My Mom asked me what our color scheme was and I snapped this picture and emailed to her- No fancy presentation needed , It works!

Next Blog- Building walls for all of my artwork- My Imperfect Blessed Life


























No comments:

Post a Comment