Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Passions and Struggles-

I have had my share of struggles over the years. I have had many challenges both personally and professionally. We all have our personal demons, mine being depression. When you suffer from such a disorder you have to keep reaching inside yourself to find strength and ambition to get you through the tough days. You have to keep your passions alive. I have been fortunate enough to have found my true passions. One is my profession, Interior Design, the other a pastime, Boxing. I found both passions later in life. I was 25 years old when I knew I wanted to be an Interior Designer. My career started with a job interview with the owner of The Concord House, an Ethan Allen furniture dealer. I went on the interview eagerly and confident, where Mr. Kaplan asked- "What do you know about furniture?" I said nothing, but I am wiling to learn. He handed me a catalog featuring the furniture Ethan Allen sold and said, "Come back when you know about furniture". I left very excited and spent the next week at the library learning furniture styles. I called Mr. Kaplan back and said I'm ready!  He said, "I'm sorry, who did you say you were?" I am amused now, he had no idea who I was, and the effect he would have on my life and career. I found my passion that day we met. I did get the job at Ethan Allen and eventually earned my degree at Sage for Interior Design. My other passion- Boxing! I started boxing for fitness about 4 yeras ago. I entered Sweeney's Boxing, a middle aged woman with no idea why I was interested in this form of fitness. I had never played any sports, None! I was looking for something in my life to make me feel strong and alive. I was met at the counter by Javy Martinez, who made me feel at ease immediately. I made an appointment for my first boxing session. The first time in the gym with Javy and his encouragement made me a believer. I was hooked! After that I had many trainers....  Zach Smith, Charlie Roohan and the owner of Sweeney's, Rick Sweeney. Everyone of them made me feel like I was a winner. I eventually narrowed my training down to one personal trainer, Zach Smith. Every time I have worked out with Zach, I leave the gym saying the same thing... "I love boxing!" I have not seen Zach in about a year.... we have an appointment to start boxing again next week... I timidly sent him a text a few weeks back and said to Zach, "I am in rough shape....I am wiling to work hard- will you work with me ?" He was enthusiastically supportive and  I cant wait to start again. I may have found both of my passions later than most, but it just goes to show you, you can find them with a little guts and encouragement ... Many thanks to Howard Kaplan and Javy Martinez for believing in me! Many of the boxing professionals I mentioned are in the boxing documentary Passions and Struggles.... Watch the trailer, its going to be a great inspiring movie. Most of all remember, its never to late to find your passions!


http://youtu.be/bbzcJWJyRoI

No comments:

Post a Comment