Monday, March 19, 2012

My Dad always looked like a movie star !



                                                My Dad Charlie in 1955 - He was 13

When I was a child, I remember looking at my Dad and thinking he looks like a movie star. My dad is celebrating his 70th birthday this week. My Dad may be 70 but he lives his life ageless. If I called him right now and asked him to help me move a sofa, he would be right over. Well, if they lived locally anyway. My parents are now enjoying retirement in sunny Florida and  loving every minute!
                                          Left to right- My Grandpa, My Dad and his Brother Ron


I felt compelled to pull out some of the photos of my Dad from his childhood. As I pulled them out I thought ,yup there he is all dashing, dressed for a photo shoot, even though its really just Christmas with the family. I see my grandfather dressed in his finery as well. I remember grandpa was always dressed. He would say,    " I'm styling Lori," and boy was he, in his  hat and ever present cigar. I remember how different it was to take photos then. Having to buy film and then having the photos developed. You would take photo after photo and hope for the best. Inevitably some photos would have eyes closed and  interesting expressions. The look on their faces were like,  "NO I'm not ready yet!" These silly photos from the past would be deleted now, as we seem to keep only  the " facebook" worthy photos.
                     Left to right- My Dad, my Brother Chuck, Me, Uncle Ron and Grandpa
                                          My Dad, Grandma and Grandpa and Uncle Ron


I for one, am glad these silly photo rejects made their way down to me. I love getting a glimpse of the cars behind them, recognizing where the photos were taken and remembering all of the holiday dinners shared.

 My Dad and his Brother Ron

I love to help clients through the process of displaying family photos and memorabilia . The best family displays include not only formal portraits but the humorous candid shots as well. I ask a lot of questions during the process which often sends people on hunts through old boxes in the attic, or calling Mom to see if someone might have a photo of grandma in the christening gown all of the family members wore. Its nice to group subjects if you can. Let the display tell a story and include photos that will encourage family and friends to ask you questions about where you came from.


I am a lucky girl to have these photos, encouraging me to remember the sights and smells of my child hood. I grew up in a family of bakers. My Dad was always a vision, whether dressed in bakery whites and smelling like crumb cake or  dressed for a holiday. Yes, in the photos no one else wanted , the "silly" rejects if you will, my Dad was and still is a movie star to me!       
                                                             
Happy Birthday Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment